Welcome to the RAC Update
The Resource Access Center (RAC)-a joint effort of Transition Projects, the City of Portland, and the Housing Authority of Portland-is expected to open in June, 2011. Transition Projects is launching this monthly e-newsletter to keep our friends and neighbors updated on our progress, to invite you to upcoming events, and to tell you about ways to get involved.
The Resource Access Center is located on the west end of the Broadway Bridge, between NW Hoyt and Irving.
All eight floors of the RAC are up. Walsh Construction Company is making great progress. Click here to see more construction photos from our Facebook page. And if you're not already connected to us on Facebook, please take this opportunity to do so.
What's the Access Center?
The Resource Access Center will have three parts-a 90-bed shelter for men, 130 units of permanent housing, and an access center. So what is in an "access center"?
The Access Center at the RAC will serve as a central gateway to services and housing for individuals and families experiencing homelessness in Portland. Services will include:
- Homelessness Prevention: Whenever possible, we'll help people avoid homelessness in the first place. We'll work with people to prevent evictions, find housing that is sustainable for them, and keep them off the streets.
- Entry-level Services: Basic services for homeless people-laundry, storage, showers, clothing, hygiene, access to shelter and connections to services that can help people end their homelessness.
- Housing Placement: Support to move into housing, including assistance with move-in and deposit costs, and flexible financial assistance.
- Supportive Services: Services to help people overcome their barriers to income and housing. These include skill building, tenant education, mental health counseling, alcohol and drug counseling, and case management.
- Housing Retention: Resources that offer ongoing support for households who have already been successfully placed into permanent housing to stay housed.
We expect that the access center will be open 7 days a week, from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM. Services will be provided by Transition Projects in partnership with more than a dozen on-site community partner agencies.
|Transition Projects has launched a campaign to raise resources and volunteers for our work at the RAC. Thank you to Providence Community Grants for announcing their intention to fund the equipment for the RAC's medical exam room!|