Portland Veterans Stand Down
The Portland Veterans Stand Down – Oregon’s largest – honors and supports Veterans, who are often either experiencing or at-risk of homelessness. Women and men who have served in the military access essential supportive resources and services, employment, and connections to local, state, and federal support. This community-led partnership combines local nonprofits, government officials, corporations, and businesses to welcome more than 400 veterans annually.
2020 Portland Veterans Stand Down
The event, normally held at Portland’s Veterans Memorial Coliseum on September 11th, will change this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This Veterans Day, Transition Projects will present a hybrid Stand Down offering veterans essential items and access to programs and services they might not otherwise receive during the current health crisis. We are pleased to provide our amazing donors and volunteers a simple and safe way to contribute to those in great need through this new format.
We have developed a new process enabling both legacy and new donors to give and express their caring for our veterans, including a safe and compassionate means for getting services and essential items in the hands of those that have served our country. This process – to be deployed on November 11th, Veterans Day – contains services comparable to the greatly successful mass gatherings in the past. Using available technology, existing financial and material inventory streams, and the creativity and energy of our event sponsors and volunteers we are aiming to make the 2020 event the most unique and impactful Stand Down yet!
Stand Down Hybrid plans include:
- The creation of 400 Stand Down Veteran packs which include essential cold-weather apparel, boots, coats, socks, gift cards for community services such as food, haircuts, pet services, and food, and more! All packs will come with a robust Veterans Resources user guide, complete with employment and support resources.
- A check-in with veterans receiving support through Transition Projects one month prior to Veterans Day and again on Veterans Day to ensure they are connected to the programs and services they most need.
- Safe and efficient delivery of all packs and materials to veterans in housing, shelters, and living on the streets by Transition Projects veteran program staff and volunteers, Stand Down sponsors, and staff from sister agencies.
2019 Portland Veterans Stand Down by the Numbers:
- 480 veterans and their families accessed resources, services, and programs
- 250+ veterans met with employment recruiters at the Job Fair
- 162 veterans accessed health & wellness services and medical care
- 60 veterans connected with Transition Projects for the first time
- 62 female veterans explored services in the new Women’s Lounge
Help us Fill our Veteran Packs!
Your contribution will ensure that our Veteran Packs are full of essentials needed to support our Veterans experiencing or at-risk of homelessness.
Let a Veteran Know You're Thinking of Them
Make a donation of $20 or more and we'll send out a special Veterans Day card* in your favorite Veteran's honor.
*Please be sure to fill out the Tribute Gift fields on the donation form!
A special thank you to our Stand Down Steering Committee, our event sponsors, and our dedicated Veterans Services team members for their incredible support!
Silver Star Sponsors
Legion of Merit Sponsors
- Providence Health Plan
- Brian & Diane Terrett
- Peter & Suzanne Thompson
Bronze Star Sponsor
- Regence Medicare BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
Distinguished Service Sponsors
- John & Molly Ducker
- Kate Lieber & Monique Matheson
- John & Brenda Osborn
- Bruce & Janice Prunk
- Sherry & Roy Swackhamer
Bishops Cuts/Color - Vancouver Locations
- Multnomah County Department of Human Services (Aging, Disability & Veteran Services Division)
While normally hundreds of volunteers and community partners join us for the big day, this year we'll have varied remote volunteer options. From helping put together packs to helping us source donations, there are many ways that you can help from home or on-site from a safe distance. Reach out today!
This year's event will serve the 400 participants already engaged with our Veterans Services team. If you're already working with us, please contact your Case Manager to ensure that you're registered to participate. If you're a Veteran seeking support, please visit the link below to get connected to support.
Make a gift to help us bring critical resources to those who've served.